Add to Technorati Favorites

Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Nothing Is Lost

My grandfather made this teddy bear in the upholstery shop around 1977. He made a lot of them, and he gave one to almost everyone in the family. We all still have them, thirty years later. They are like religious icons to us. He died in 1979, and so everyone born after that year never got a bear. I wanted our kids to have one, so I planned on taking a pattern off my bear and reproducing it, but then I thought I'd check ebay first. I looked up every variation of "vintage bear", "vintage stuffed toy" patterns, and finally found the one he used. It's a Simplicity pattern from 1973. I made four bears out of cotton velvet. I gave two to my kids, one to my niece, and one to my cousin. His bears look much nicer, but these will do I suppose.

No comments: