Add to Technorati Favorites

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Pocket Screws


I've been getting some more work done on my chair. Now, if this chair was a job, I'd have to have it done in about a week. Since it's my chair, and I'm doing it for fun, I can take my time. I can also play fast and loose with the rules, which includes using scrap wood and pocket screws where there should be dowels. I love me some pocket screws. If you're ever in a tight spot and need a quick, efficient joining method, the pocket screw plus glue never lets you down.

Here's what I've done:
1. I replaced both front legs with new ones. I had to knock the remaining leg out, add corner blocks, and use a Forstner bit to drill a hole big enough to attach the legs into the blocks. They still need stained and polyurethaned.

2. I reattached the rocker pieces that had come off. I used a combination of screws, glue and dowels. It's not going anywhere now. I'm going to reinforce the other side, too.

3. I knocked out all the side/front rails and replaced them with poplar. I pocket-screwed the back pieces and doweled the rest. I added oak supports on the inside and little chunks of poplar in the front to create a good sitting angle.

4. I started adding the clips for the springs. I'm using zig-zag springs which are generally considered a cheap and easy alternative to hand-tied springs. I'm using them because the rounded bottom of the chair makes webbing and spring-tying impossible. My other option was to build a drop-in spring unit. Frankly, I didn't want to put that kind of time into this.

I added a photo of what this chair looks like when it reclines. It's a pretty awesome and timeless design. Once I get the springs in, I can start upholstering it. I saved the spring job for tomorrow because it's a huge pain in the ass and I wanted to bake something.

No comments: