Add to Technorati Favorites

Monday, May 7, 2007

Soap, Tomatoes

Today the tomatoes went outside. I bought these upside-down planters last year, and I was really happy with how they worked so I'm re-using them. I think I could make some more. I started these tomatoes in my house a few months ago. I started four plants, and my cats ate one. Then I re-planted it, but it is at a clear growth disadvantage. I killed the fourth plant today when I tried to put it in the planter. I feel pretty bad about that. I'm going to buy another one to replace it.

I built the structure they hang from. I didn't have a good place to hang them where they got a lot of sun, so I came up with this. It's lasted the year, but I think I may add a couple more 2x4's across the back to keep it stable.

I made soap yesterday. It's cold-process soap, with olive, palm and coconut oils. I ran out of lye so I had to make half a batch. I ordered more lye. I have to order lye and have it shipped because I can't find a local source for it. I think that's because it's used to manufacture drugs. The place I order from required that they have a release form from me before they would sell it to me. This soap smells like roses.

No comments: